DAIRY FREE | VEGETARIAN | VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE
Whole grains are many wonderful things, one of which being: simply delicious. The texture and satisfaction that accompany a whole grain-based meal make eating healthier that much easier. Colder mornings call for comforting breakfasts. Who does not love a bowl of goodness in the morning? Our amaranth berry porridge recipe is fluffy, delicious and so satisfying. A bowl of amaranth provides you with plant protein, vitamins, minerals, and fibre to start the day off on the best foot. For those looking for a protein boost, a gluten-free alternative, or a source of iron for your meals, amaranth is a great meal option.
You Will Need:
1. 250g amaranth
2. 2 cups plant milk
3. 2 tablespoons honey (if vegan replace honey with maple syrup)
4. 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
5. 1 teaspoon cinnamon
6. 1 tablespoon coconut flakes/desiccated coconut (optional)
7. 1/2 teaspoon salt
4. Pecan Nuts
5. Nut butter
1. Heat the plant milk on low heat. Stir occasionally to avoid burning/clumping (if using powdered milk).
2. Rinse one cup amaranth, add two cups boiling water and a half teaspoon of salt. Adjust measurements proportionate to the size of your batch.
3. Bring to boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat, simmer on low heat for twenty minutes.
5. Add plant milk, cinnamon, and honey and allow to cook into porridge for five minutes.
6. Add more plant milk if necessary. Serve into bowls.
7. Sprinkle more cinnamon, coconut, flaxseed, berries, and nuts over a bowl of amaranth porridge.
8. Drizzle over a nut butter of your choice. Enjoy!