REFINED SUGAR FREE | DAIRY FREE | VEGETARIAN | VEGAN
A year is only as new as the attitude with which you face it. Change does not start with a new year but with a new mindset. BodiCafé aims to assist you in practicing healthier habits and making better choices to enjoy a new YOU in this new year. Easier said than done, right? Well we have a fun recipe to help you transition from the decadence of December holidays to a balanced, plant-powered lifestyle in 2021. Without further ado, here's to Christmas in Veganuary!
You Will Need:
1. 185 ml unsweetened almond milk
2. 7g dried active yeast
3. 2 tablespoons honey/maple syrup
4. 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
5. 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
6. 150 g wholegrain flour
7. 160 g plain white flour
8. 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
9. 1 tablespoon coconut flakes/desiccated coconut
10. 1/4 teaspoon salt
11. 1 cup cranberries
1. 1 cup of honey/maple syrup
2. 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1. Heat the almond milk until lukewarm.
2. Combine in a small bowl with the yeast and maple syrup. Set aside for the yeast to activate.
3. Make the flax egg by stirring flaxseed into 3 tablespoons of water and set aside for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Melt down the coconut oil until liquid in consistency.
5. Add coconut oil to the flaxseed mixture.
6. Mix in flax egg and yeast mixture evenly with dry ingredients: the flours, cranberries, coconut flakes, cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt.
7. Mix wet and dry ingredients to form a slightly taut and sticky dough. Knead dough on floured surface before placing into a warm area covered with a kitchen towel or clingwrap to prove for 1 hour.
8. Heat up your honey until liquid for the filling and glaze. Mix well with cinnamon. Allow to cool.
9. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface, maintaining a slight thickness. Do not roll too thin.
10. Spread the honey cinnamon mixture evenly across to the edges.
11. Roll up from the shortest edge of the dough into a well-compacted cylinder and cut nine slices into the cylinder.
12. Use coconut oil to grease a baking dish. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
13. Place all nine slices in the baking dish with room between to expand. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and semi-firm. Leave to cool. Enjoy!
Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Wholewheat maple cinnamon buns